Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Def Leppard - On Through The Night (1980)

This album seems to be somewhat of a "bastard child" for Def Leppard, so I have my doubts this one will ever get the remastered + expanded treatment like Pyromania, Hysteria, and Adrenalize received.

I had done a script for the album which turned out well, but I always thought it'd be nice to add some bonuses. The most obvious candidates being The Def Leppard E.P. from 1979, the Wasted single from the same year (with the original versions of Wasted and Hello America), and Good Morning Freedom from the Hello America single, released in 1980. There's also some early demos floating around, which I would use as well.

So I did some searching around to see what I could get. Unfortunately, none of those tracks are available in lossless formats. Or maybe they are, and nobody is sharing them...who knows.

A while back, I purchased this:



One single down, and two more to go. If anyone wants to help on this one, that would be great...to be honest, the main thing I'd need help on is the demos in something that's not a lossy format. I don't mind getting the singles myself if I can find them at fair prices. I always wanted the Def Leppard E.P. anyway, so I'm proud to own it.

I'm not sure when this project will be completed, but for now, I offer you a little preview on the album itself, in remastered glory:

Def Leppard - Satellite

The MP3 doesn't do complete justice, but it'll give you an idea of the improvement compared to the original. When everything is done and ready to go, obviously, I'll be sharing the album in FLAC Level 8 (my preferred choice of format).

I guess there's also High 'N' Dry to worry about, but for now, I'd rather focus on this NWOBHM classic (that's New Wave of British Heavy Metal, for those who are confused)...

---------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: The release is finally here. You can download it at this link:

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2184646/?rel=1269488248

First and foremost, The Audiography Project is not a one-man operation. I don't think I could handle it if I did this by myself. My partner-in-crime, Josh Richard, helps me out on a lot of these projects, in one way or another. In fact, it was his idea to do this one in the first place (and he sent me the album in lossless, no less). I'm a fan of NWOBHM, so this was a no-brainer...I couldn't refuse it, and I had a ton of fun doing this album.

I did obtain all 3 singles needed to get the bonus tracks rolling for this "deluxe edition". I will admit one thing, though. I wish the Def Leppard E.P. remasters turned out better than they did. It's not even so much that they sound bad, but the original source material sounded very low...like, really low. Here's a comparison of Ride Into The Sun, in MP3 format:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JPAOGHL1

The comparison is broken into two 30 second segments: the first is the original vinyl transfer, untouched, and the second is the remastered version, which can be found in its entirety (in FLAC) in the Demonoid post. The difference is like night and day, but yeah, notice how the original sounds so low. It made things a bit more difficult, so for that, I say it's not my best work.

I do hope you enjoy it nonetheless, and Josh and myself will continue to add more projects as time progresses..

2 comments:

  1. What do you think?:

    Def Leppard (1980) On Through The Night (2010 Audiography Project Expanded Edition Remaster TAP-002)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tp://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2184646/?rel=1269488248

    link is dead, could you reupload ?

    ReplyDelete